Welcome to the big ‘Getting to Know Me’ post. I’ve noticed a lot of new folks reading my rambles, so I thought I would introduce myself and explain what kinds of things you’ll find here. Below the cut are some samples of the over 200 posts I’ve written that should help introduce you to me and my writing a little better.
Posts on Feminism
I’m a feminist. I don’t know what wave I’m in, and I couldn’t tell you the difference between Germaine Greer and Judith Butler, but I’ve always hated people telling me I couldn’t do something because I was born female. I believe in equality, which means that women and men are equal. You will find no assertions that one is better or worse than the other.
- The Bitch is Back Posts: Catwomen and She-Devils
- Toenail Painting, Giggling, Talking About Boys Entry: Charlie’s Angels
- Equality or Bust Entry: 9 to 5
- The X-Files: Season 1
- More 80s Vampire Fabulousness – Once Bitten
- My God, Someone Paid For This To be Made Entry: GI Joe – The Rise of Cobra
Posts On People of Color
Note: I do NOT imagine that People of Color need me to speak for them.
I just can’t help but observe certain things, for good or ill, and recording said observations in my blog.
- There’s No Such Thing As An Honorary Black Person
- In Honor of a Departed Master: Wes Craven’s Immortal The People Under the Stairs
- Four Black Horror Movie Protagonists Who Didn’t Die
- Candyman: Clive Barker’s Urban Horror Masterpiece
- A New Cult Movie: Black Dynamite
- Fun Friday: Remo Williams – The Adventure Begins
Posts on Gay/Les/Bi/Trans People
I’m not gay or transgender, but I have grown up and lived around gay and transgender people my whole life. My best friend came out in college and I have been watching the fight for gay rights go on for a long time.
- Finally Got Around To It And Loved It Entry: 1992’s Orlando
- More Britishiest Brits Entry: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- Introspection and a Big Lavender Bus Entry: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- Stately Homos of Old England Entry: The Naked Civil Servant
Posts on Social Class
I grew up on the lower end of middle class. My dad was an electrician with Florida Power and Light for almost 40 years, and my mom cleaned houses. Most of the people in my Mom’s side of the family live in trailers and have received or are receiving government assistance. Oh, we had vacations and such, but they were always on a budget. The long and the short of it is, the evolution of social strata within human society has always fascinated me, and I cannot help but observe and comment on it.
- The Britishiest Brits that Ever Britished: North and South
- New Cult Classics: Tucker and Dale Versus Evil
- New Cult Classics: Dredd
- 4 Life Lessons from 4 Classic 80s Movies
- In a Nutshell Entry: Bubbles from The Wire
So, welcome! I hope there was something up there you appreciated, and that you’ll stick around for more. And if not, thanks for stopping in, I hope you find what you’re looking for somewhere – I really do, that’s not sarcasm.
Either way, thanks for reading and please have a great day!