Hello and welcome to Game of Thoughts! This is a feature in which I do little, rambly recaps of the night’s episode. They are nothing more than a recap and chance for GoT fans to have a bit of a natter and react as situations permit. They were inspired by the incredible, in-depth and insightful posts of Patrick Sponaugle, except his are intelligent and mine are just squeeing. They WILL contain spoilers.
Let’s DO THIS!
NOTE: I had a lot of personal stuff going on this weekend and I’m so tired my brains are like lukewarm oatmeal, so today’s recap is going to be a little light.
- Jon’s back! And he’s joking with Edd! Yayyyy! Been a while since that face cracked a smile. And now the Wildlings think he’s a god! That’s awesome, because he’s going to need some support when he TOTALLY RETAKES WINTERFELL. I bet he meets up with Sansa and they raise the north AND the Iron Islands because Theon will get Yara to help. Or something. I don’t know I’m just overstimulated.
- The Small Council Scene – I actually laughed when it was just Jaime and Cersei and Dead Mountain in there. It looked like a depressing birthday party, but that’s what happens when you alienate everyone around you. Which leads me to…
- The Mountain hears you. Oh yes. And I am looking forward to seeing who the Faith Militant trot out to take him on. Everyone’s money is on the Hound – I don’t like that idea only because that would put the Hound on the side of the Sparrows and they are terrible. If he shows up with a star burned in his head I will be as sad as a kid at a depressing birthday party.
- Jonathan Pryce’s casting as the High Sparrow continues to be a highlight of the season. He’s so earnest and yet you aren’t sure what he’s really earnest about: his belief in the gods, or his belief that he’s the only one they talk to. Generally, the latter type of religious personality doesn’t have other people’s best interests in mind.
- Arya – Arya Stark Has Reentered the Game.
- Varys – You are beautiful. NEVER change. Although I figured he would be more of a player than he is – he seems kind of stuck along with everyone else whereas previously he was pulling all the strings. Has he got a secret Ace he’s holding back? I hope so!
- SHAGGYDOG!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! Although I’m pretty sure that head wasn’t big enough to be a Dire Wolf. Fingers crossed they have him stashed somewhere and he’s going to leap out and eat Ramsay. I want to believe the Umbers are in on this. I refuse to believe that Usha would be dumb enough to get herself and Rickon captured by Umbers’ men. The only reason she was caught before was because she was in the company of idiots. But Yay Natalie Tena being back! She’s so great.
- Ramsay. Watching Umber dress him down was delightful, even if Umber is terrible. Although Ramsay’s hair is on point, I must say. He’s the best looking psychopath. He ought to play Dahmer some day.
- The Tower of Joy battle felt a little… I don’t know, weird? I didn’t care for there being music, and when Arthur Dayne drew two swords it stretched credibility. I’m no swords master but fighting five dudes at once would necessitate more defense. You have to watch your opponent’s eyes in a fight, and the more there are the harder it is to defend. Or maybe I’m full of shit, I don’t know. I’m also not sure Bran would care so much if he saw Howland Reed stab someone in the back. It seems that he should know by now fights to the death are ugly and not like his nurse’s stories of honorable knights at all. I’m probably just picking nits.