Hello and welcome to Game of Thoughts! I’m still alive and carving time out of my busy weeks for some Game of Thrones goodness. These posts WILL contain spoilers. They are nothing more than a recap and chance for GoT fans to have a bit of a natter and react as situations permit. They were inspired by the incredible, in-depth and insightful posts of Patrick Sponaugle, except his are intelligent and mine are just squeeing.
Well… well… well…
There’s a terrible moment that comes after the season finale and it is made up of three parts:
- Realizing that no, there will be no trailer for next week’s episode to give you a little frisson about what might happen next
- You’re a year away from finding out what might happen next
- Life is meaningless until you find out what might happen next
ON TO THE CHATTERING!
Highgarden (I guess?)
- I thought the Unsullied were trapped at Casterly Rock but whatever, plot armor saved the day and they were drawn up into battle formations in front of somewhere, with the Dothraki providing cavalry
- But maybe it was all a bad dream because suddenly Jaime was at –
- Cersei’s plan for The Mountain during the meeting is terrible but totes expected because she, too, is terrible.
- So many reunions! So many sideeyes! Pod and Tyrion, and Bronn and Tyrion, and Brienne and Jaime, and Brienne and Sandor, and Sandor and Gregor, and Cersei and Tyrion, more that I am probably forgetting. So neat to see so many loose plot threads suddenly pull taut like kitestrings in a high wind! Brienne and Sandor’s was lovely because we actually, at long long last, saw the Hound genuinely smile. <3 for them
- Those Dragonscreams – they ALWAYS give me goosebumps.
- Cersei is a special kind of stone headed. I totally bought her act.
- I was expecting the Other to be dead and legit jumped when it popped out.
- Euron – Bye Felicia. [Edit – but apparently not. Dammit.]
- Well, actually, Jon COULD swear that dumb oath to Cersei since he isn’t actually Ned Stark’s son. Weasel words sure, but also WORLD ANNIHILATION is totes worth some pedantry.
- Brienne spat fire and is apparently getting through to Jaime.
- Littlefinger working those angles again – so oily.
- Uh oh, she’s called a formal audience for this. That can’t be good andOH MY GOODNESS AT LONG LONG LAST PETYR BAELISH HAS LEFT THE GAME. Oh my goodness that was such a long time coming and honestly when he dropped to his knees and started crying I got a little hot and sweaty and it’s not just because my AC has been out all weekend folks that death was EARNED. The show put in the work and finally, FINALLY, Sansa and Arya are feeling themselfs again.
(The Beach at) King’s Landing
- I love this moment between two adopted brothers. Jon and Theon are so great.
- I love that Theon is going after Yara, I loved his speech, I love that he’s got his groove back, but I hated, HATED that the show just spent 4 seasons building up to a ‘ha ha, you can’t kick an emasculated man in the balls’ joke. HATE. IT.
- Whatever, I will totes cry when he springs Yara and saves the day. The poor kid has earned it.
- Jon and Dany are taking a ride on the Love Boat and Jorah is having trouble with that.
(The Red Keep at) King’s Landing
- Gosh! Cersei really drew the line in the sand this time, and Jaime called her bluff. I half-expected him to start fighting Dead Mountain and for Brienne, Pod, and Bronn to swing in on chandeliers and save him, HUSH IT WOULD BE GREAT
- And apparently we have not seen the last of Euron. Fantasic. Whatever.
- Sam is back! And he’s talking to Bran! And apparently he listened to Gilly!
- GASP! FOLKS! OHHHHH FOOOOOLKS AT LONG LONG LAST WE HAVE CONFIRMATION!
- NAKED PEOPLE!!!!!!
- Tormund and Beric Dondarrion are hanging out when SUDDENLY…
- I guess the dead dragon’s not really blowing ice, because you would think that ice blown at a big ice wall would make the icewall thicker. WHATEVER, it’s fine.
- I need to know that they are okay. I am very concerned that I missed something between the screaming and hand wringing. I might rewatch.
- “One man with a crossbow…” somebody get Bronn a crossbow and get him in range of Night’s King. HE’LL impregnate the bitch*.
Another season come and gone with some FANTASTIC resolutions and yet more setups for next year. I. Can’t. Wait. to find out how the war will go, and also what Danaerys and everyone will say once they figure out Cersei is still playing her games. Dead Mountain is still in play, Davos is still rattling around like the SuperDad he is, Bronn and Pod are off drinking somewhere, and there’s just so much more to find out.
And maybe, just maybe, we good little thronies (is that a word? I don’t know what our name is) will wake up one day in 2018 to find out that the NEXT DAMN BOOK has a release date. Never give up hope!
*This will make sense to longtime viewers.